Monday, July 16, 2012

Cow trots (and I don't mean the walking kind)


You've never experienced anything until you've had a cow with an upset stomach - Think copious, squirty poo. The regular stuff is bad enough! When we bought Honey a couple of weeks ago I noticed she had some 'crud' stuck to her tail. Not thinking much of it, I brushed it off as nothing. Boy, was that a mistake. Being the big greenhorn that I am, I didn't even think to ask the rancher - 'Hey, dude, what's with the poo on the cow?'. As far as I knew, cows all had poo on their derrieres. But, after nearly 1.5 weeks of non-stop poo from this cow, and none of it in the classical 'cow pie' form - even after giving her probiotics, baking soda, ACV-  enough was enough - I called the vet. After her little jaunt with the steers next door her condition got worse and absolutely nothing we did was helping like it was before. Long story short - the vet  tells me she probably has coccidiosis after I tell him her condition, history & level of poopy symptoms and she needs to go on a coccidiostat I can buy at the feed store ASAP. Wonderful. I have no idea what the heck that is or what a coccidiostat is for that matter. Did I mention we're completely green to cattle? Give me a rabbit or even a sheep now, I'm good. I can diagnose, treat and name body parts, cuts and even color patterns to specific breeds (I medaled in breed id in 4-H, not to toot my own horn or anything...but I do have a couple of trophies & plaques). Large, no, gigantic! hoofed bovines baffle me simply because I've never had them before.
*Mental note: buy a dang book on cattle husbandry already.*

So, the cow has been on this coccidiostat for the past 4 days and she's starting to feel good.  Her energy level is noticeably up from what it had been, she's chasing the sheep, running around the chickens, bucking and kicking up her heels. But the poo is still not normal. Not being patient whatsoever, I started getting concerned after a few days and not seeing much improvement. Today I talked to the vet and he assured me this stuff will work, but it takes time - like up to 2 weeks for the coccidiostat to clear the infection, and another 1-2 weeks for her stomach to repair and physical condition to improve. Poor girl. Her poor stomach has basically been ravaged by a protozoan parasite that eats up her intestinal lining, kinda like what happens to someone with cholera or giardia. Not fun. But, she is doing much, much better. And she could have had it much, much worse from what I've read of symptoms and what happens when high parasite levels are present. As uncomfortable and poopy as she is, it could have been a lot worse. Scary thought. But now I am an expert on coccidiosis in cattle. Hopefully I never have to be again.

 Next up for Honey (once her tummy is finally settled) - A BATH!

No comments:

Post a Comment