Friday, December 13, 2013

Never a dull day

As I passed my kitchen window I saw my sheep looking kinda uncomfortable, and thinking they were hungry decided to go outside to give them some more feed. Turned out they weren't hungry (far from it actually...these sheep are well fed, let me tell ya) and were simply checking out the view in my backyard, which looked like a massacre occurred. I thought it was remnants of some cow bone marrow that the dogs chewed out of the fresh cow femur bones we bought them. They love cow bones. It's like early Christmas for them. No, it wasn't the bone marrow. Yes, it was my dog. I didn't even notice it because Bear was prancing around like he normally does, albeit more than usual because he was defending his bone. I pieced together what happened: Polly dug up Bear's buried bone, his 'precious' and a ferocious dog fight ensued. Bear's ear lost. He had a 1" tear at the bottom of his ear. He's nearly 9, pretty ancient for a St. Bernard, and Polly being 3 years younger (and more aggressive from the get-go, anyway) won pretty easily. Fortunately, it was easy enough to fix and it wasn't bleeding a whole lot. He let me wrap it up pretty easy, only whining a little. This whole thing reminded me I have to get a veterinary first aid kit together, something I've been putting on the back burner for way too long. Styptic powder. Neosporin. Veterinary wrap...for starters. Dogs. Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment